Although coming up short against McHenry 0-3, women’s volleyball plans to finish season strong

lance lagoni

The 2018 ECC women’s soccer team. Left to Right Rachael Gaydos, Krystal Figueroa, Madison Kosyla,Katie Flanagan, Jennifer Gonzalez, and Zoe Sitar.

Al Tuider, Staff Writer

Elgin Community College’s Women’s volleyball team lost 0-3 Wednesday, Oct. 10 to 20-16 McHenry County College. This currently gives the Lady Spartans a 4-9 record, fighting to stay out of the last place in their division. With every set being within reach, Head Coach Nate Rohrsen commented on what the team needs to specifically zone in on.

“Honestly, take it one step at a time and focus on some of the basics that we need to work on, [like] our communication,” Rohrsen said. “And a little bit more fundamentally, working on cleaning up how we play is the best way for us to bounce back.”

They are set to go up against an electric Harper College, who is currently on a 3-game win streak, on Thursday, Oct. 11.

“They’re going to be a hard game,” Rohrsen said. “Going up against a team like Harper, who doesn’t make a lot of mistakes, is never easy.”

During last night’s game, since the Lady Spartans were short substitutes, the team only had six players which forced them to give their absolute all to compete. Plagued with injury, it has been an uphill battle going up against teams with 10 or more players. Third-year student Rachel Gaydos, commented on how the team has stayed positive over the last stretch of games.

“Were staying up and working as a team, trying our best and fighting for every point,” Gaydos said. “We just have to work harder.”

Frustrated from the previous outcomes, she opened up about the struggle of having to play understaffed.

“It’s hard,” Gaydos said. “But I’m so proud of my team [even] when we go up against other teams with twelve to fifteen girls.”

The Lady Spartans put up a hard-fought game in front of a fair crowd, which included ECC President Dr. Sam, who is also a dedicated superfan. With 5 games left in the season, be sure to go support your ECC volleyball team.