Observer

ECC Men’s basketball team secures a victory against Kishwaukee College 94-82

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spartans' Xavier Williams drives to the hoop

lance lagoni

lance lagoni

lance lagoni

Al Tuider, Staff Writer

The win from Tuesday, Nov. 27, was on the road and brought Elgin Community College to a 5-3 record against a now 6-2 Kishwaukee College.  The previous day, ECC was closed due to weather conditions, consequently preventing the team from meeting and prepare for their matchup.  On top of that, The Spartans had off for Thanksgiving break. Even with a week off, they were able to pull out a win in an exciting atmosphere.

“We went into the game without a practice,” said Reed Nosbisrch, 12th-year head coach. “It was hard last night. We played last Tuesday, then I gave them Thanksgiving break off, and then Monday, we were snowed in. We hadn’t seen each other since last Tuesday, so you worry about sharpness because Kishwaukee’s a very difficult place to go win.”

That week, Kishwaukee forward Luke Davis won NJCAA player of the week averaging 24.5 PPG and 16 RPG, being on the top of the scouting report. Elgin held him to 10-21 from the field and forced him to shoot 1-5 from the 3-point line. With a whole team effort, this put the Spartans on a three-game win streak.

“Compared to other years, this group is really athletic,” Nosbisrch said. “They’re a lot quicker and one of the deeper teams we’ve had. We just have to stay focused against Madison College coming up because for seating purposes it’s a really big game.”

With a ten-man roster, three players plan to return for their second year. Most of them knew they had a big game coming up, but they didn’t let the snow stop them for getting prepared. Xavier Williams, second-year student, went 5/6 after a technical free throw spree which helped secure the victory.

“A lot of the guys knew, since we were probably going to have a snow storm, that we weren’t going have practice,” Williams said. “So, a couple of us got together and went to a gym to get some work in for ourselves. If we’re going to win next Saturday, we’ll have to work hard at practice and it will determine itself.”

With a tough game against Madison coming up The Spartans plan on defending their home court.

About the Writer
Al Tuider, Staff Writer

This is my second year here at Elgin Community College. My major is broadcast journalism which led to my interest in joining The Observer.