March Madness

Natalie Wilson, Staff Writer

What comes to mind when the month March is mentioned? For some it resembles spring break, sunshine and warm weather. For sport enthusiasts, March Madness comes to mind.

But what is March madness? March madness determines the champions of college basketball. This annual event occurs across the United States where division one basketball is played. The NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) includes 68 teams across the country. The best of the best teams compete against each other for the title of March madness champions. This event lasts from mid March to early April. College students and basketball fanatics fill out brackets to compete for prizes and money in various competitions.

Elgin Community College has hosted events encouraging students to get involved in the sporting event. March Madness day at ECC was hosted by student life on Mar. 16. At the event, students participated in a hoop shooting competition. In addition, students were encouraged to fill out their own bracket.

ECC student, John Jacobs, loves watching college basketball and participates in various March madness activities.

“My friends and I fill out brackets every year and bet money on certain teams,” Jacobs said.

Megan Mangieri, ECC student, loves watching the basketball games with her friends.

“I played basketball all throughout high school, so watching college basketball is really fun to watch for me. I don’t participate in brackets, I rather just watch the games and relax with friends,” Mangieri said.

Some sports bars and restaurants participate in the March madness events too. Buffalo Wild Wings gives out punch cards to basketball fanatics. With every visit during March madness, you receive discounts and can even be entered to win a Go Pro camera.

Champps sport bars have a different special for food and drink during each week of March madness.

Watching the college basketball games has become a tradition for many people across the country, it is a fun way to get family and friends together and get competitive.