ECC Humanities Club Hosts International Film Series

Brittany Raysby, Staff Writer

“Terraferma”, an Italian drama and the first in Elgin Community College’s international film series, showed on the big screen in the Spartan auditorium on the night of Friday Sept. 9. It gathered a small crowd, but not lacking in energy as a handful of laughs and exasperated sighs sounded from the audience. Tim Kaar, an ECC instructor and member of the ECC Humanities Club, briefly introduced the film as award winning and also later described the film as representing “the strains of remaining compassion”.

Emanuele Crialese’s “Terraferma” follows the story of Filippo, a young Italian man who is struggling with his sudden change of circumstances. His family’s livelihood, fishing, is becoming more and more difficult to make a living on and tourism is taking over their town’s small economy. His world is unexpectedly shaken up when he encounters ‘illegal’ immigrants at sea and decides to help them. Filippo’s determination to help creates conflict within his family, his community, and with the law. “Terraferma” casts a sympathetic and warm-hearted light on the plight of immigrants and those struggling to find a sense of belonging.

“It really educates students on world culture. That’s the whole point,” said Kaar. “European films are much different than American ones. It leaves us with a big open question instead of someone riding off into the sunset …we all know how that ends.”

A few elements that made this film stand out were its content, its masterful cinematography and its instrumental score. It’s content shows that undocumented immigration is not only a North American issue, but is a hotly debated topic throughout the European world, as well. It sends a powerful message of equality and tender-heartedness that can be universally understood.

The cinematography also sends a message, but in a more subtle way. The film is a visual masterpiece with each scene’s lighting and color palette complimenting the emotions of the characters. The sea is also marvelously displayed in the film and achieves a daunting but soothing presence throughout. The musical score is simple, haunting and never overtakes the essence of the film.

“Contrast. Vastness. Understanding” is how an anonymous ECC student described “Terreferma after I asked him to sum up the film in three words.

The ECC Humanities Club provided free snacks and drinks and will continue with the international film series in October on the first and second Fridays of the month at 7:30 pm.