CBD at ECC

Hadley Corbett

CBD products displayed at The Little Traveler in Geneva, Illinois.

Hadley Corbett, Staff Writer

What is CBD? What does it do? What sorts of forms does it come in? Who uses it and why? Is it even legal? CBD products seem to be a quickly growing wellness trend and showing up in many stores, but what really is CBD anyways?

Cannabidiol or CBD is a chemical in the marijuana plant. CBD comes in a variety of products including oil extracts, hair serums, skin lotions, edibles, and even creams for pets.

CBD has been demonstrated as an effective treatment for epilepsy in several clinical trials. There is also preliminary evidence that it may be an effective treatment in other patients, such as those struggling with Alzheimer’s, chronic pain, anxiety, depression, infections, inflammation and diabetes, according to the World Health Organization.

While delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the major active ingredient in marijuana, giving it its narcotic and psychoactive effects, CBD is also present and contains very little THC according to the US National Library of Medicine.

In 2018, the federal government passed the Farm Bill that made production and sales of CBD legal in cosmetic products containing less than 0.3% THC. Substances with more than 0.3% THC on Elgin Community College’s campus are illegal and subject to the federal regulations of the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act.

“Hemp-derived CBD oils are legal products under both state and federal law,” said Michael Wong, outside legal counsel for ECC. “As such, they are not prohibited on campus. They are legal products under both federal and state law, whereas cannabis/marijuana is still an illegal Schedule I drug under federal law and prohibited [on campus].”

ECC students use CBD for a variety of reasons from improving athletic performance to maintaining healthy stress levels. Alexandra Luna, a first-year student at ECC, pursuing an education degree, knows someone who uses CBD oil to relieve pain.

“I know someone who makes their own CBD cream,” Luna said. “They have recommended it, but I don’t use [CBD] oil because my mom is against it.”

There are a variety of opinions on how it should be used, if at all. Some people use CBD for helping their four-legged friend to feel better.

“We use CBD oils to help my dog because he is pretty old right now and this helps calm his anxiety,” said Jake Jonzalez, a first-year student at ECC. “I would recommend CBD oils to other pet owners.”

The CBD oil trend may just be a passing phase, but it also holds promise of relief to many issues ECC students and staff face. Maybe it’s worth finding out for yourself.