All Lives Matter

Syed Hashmi, Staff Writer

They say humans only divided themselves by race in the fourteenth century with no mention of the concept anytime before. On Nov. 7 Elgin Community College held an open discussion on a movement that has everything to do with modern humanity’s racial segregation and its negative impact.

Alongside guest speaker Dr. Vincent Gaddis of Benedictine University, faculty as well as students provided insight on the racial issues of our nation and the importance of the Black Lives Matter movement and others like it. The event was sponsored in part by ECC’s Black Student Achievers organization, a student run club that focuses not only on African American culture but overall diversity and acceptance. This was a key topic at the discussion as moderators facilitated conversation on the importance of all cultures and stressed the significance of the “All Lives Matter” ideology. Local law enforcement was invited as well to bridge the often media driven gap between the public and the police.

The essence of the discussion as noted by the multiple speakers was “what the Black Lives Matter movement [actually] is and what it stands for.” This explanation was a means to open conversation on the larger issues America faces with racism against all people of color. Dr. Gaddis opened the floor with history on the conception of the movement in 2012. Sparked by the outrage over the Trayvon Martin incident, the movement has only grown with its progression into 2016. By gaining immeasurable following it has adapted from its humble beginnings into a powerful vehicle of social change that spans across the country and addresses numerous topics.