Town Hall Recap: Meet Your New Student Gov. Members

Brittany Raysby, Staff writer

With Elgin Community College’s newly elected Student Government , some might be wondering who will be representing the student body in the semesters to come.

On April 18, three student senate candidates, two student presidential candidates, one student treasurer candidate and one vice president candidate took turns describing how they would help ECC be a better campus.

Illinois State Representative Steven Anderson also attended the town hall style meeting, and gave a small, impromptu speech, encouraging the student candidates to stay involved and promises to keep fighting for a budget in Springfield.

The event centered on the importance of inclusion among the student body, especially students who weren’t necessarily involved in student government, as well as keeping the strong element of diversity within ECC.

ECC welcomes new Student Body President Esmeralda Flores, a previous student government senator.

“As President, it would be my duty to accurately represent not only ECC but the entire student body, which would lead to my next focus, erasing the negative stereotype that ECC has. It’s time that we tarnish the negative reputation because we’re one of the most recognized community colleges in the state,” Flores said in her presidential candidate statement.

Along with President  Flores, ECC also welcomes new Student Government Vice President Fatima Cruz.

“I want to make an even more united community where where students, along with clubs, will fuse and create an eye appealing environment for all. By providing an ear for any type of concern. the ECC community’s voice will be able to be heard when the president and I converse with individuals of authority, such as legislators,” Cruz said in her vice president candidate statement.

Newly elected Student Government Senator Genacia Tiesch, a graduate of ECC and communications design student, focuses on getting involved in student life and creating positive change on campus.
According to her candidate statement, Tiesch says “I think that I can relate to students of all different backgrounds who are attending ECC and hope to be a student government senator that you can believe in and trust to represent the ECC student body”.

The second new Student Government Senator Antony Kigondu, an international student from Kenya and computer science student, is focused on closing the gap between student life and actual students at ECC. According to Kigondu, he also wants to “ be involved in lowering the prices at the cafeteria and bookstore” and plans on going to Springfield to help with the community college budget crisis.

The third new Student Government Senator Crystal Gonzalez, is focused on human rights at ECC and the diverse representations of the student body.
“I want to change ECC by bringing neglected voices into the light. As a person who firmly believes in equality and representation for marginalized voices, I want our staff to be diverse like our student body,” Gonzalez said in her official statement. Gonzalez also wants to address and change the “non-equal treatment of smaller clubs at ECC” as well.

New Executive Treasurer Abigail Anderson is a journalism student focusing on broadcast news and has years of experience handling finances of different businesses . She plans on using her skills in ECC’s student government.