Lady Spartans’ first win seems a long way back

Alexandra+Sunter+

Lance Lagoni

Alexandra Sunter

Luz Silva, Managing Editor

For their first game, on Aug. 31, the lady Spartans dominated on home turf leaving Illinois Valley Community College scoreless for the night. Five different players from the Elgin Community College team scored for their 6-0 triumph.

“The game went excellent. The ladies played very well. The best takeaway is they played with class,” said Rick Ceh, Head Coach of the Lady Spartans.

The first game’s result showed great teamwork and collaboration, which came as a welcomed surprise as 12 of the 15 girls are new to the team and eachother.

Alexandra Sunter, first-year student, scored a goal and strategically read the opponent’s defense to be able to set her teammates up to complete four assists.

“Being able to communicate well with your teammates is important. Because if you have poor communication on the field you’re not going to play well with your team,” said Samantha Pylypowycz, a first-year student when asked what her team’s strength is.

Unfortunately, after the first game, the ladies have struggled to keep the same results. Their record for the season so far is 1-3. On Wednesday, Sept. 13 College of Lake County hosted the Lady Spartans. The Lady Spartans had to play a strong defense to hold off the much better team.

The Lady Spartans were proud to have only allowed the four goals, “they had more opportunities,” Sunter said.

Teammate agrees but hopes their offense is put into action.

“We need to have a heavier focus on possession and connection. And we need to actually possess and hold the ball to connect passes to our teammates,” Pylypowycz said.

The team members of the Lady Spartans have great chemistry but are still getting to know how one another plays. They’re excited about the upcoming games, and the season as a whole, and look to improve.

“I think that we are going to get a lot more fit towards the end of the season, and it’s just the beginning,” said Analisa Sunter first-year student-athlete at ECC.