Latinx Heritage Month falls into action at ECC

ECC Students Andres Garcia, Darlene Sandoval, Kimberly Sandoval, and Jose Lopez watch as performers dance in Building B’s Jobe Lounge as a start to Latinx Heritage Month. Photography by: Ismael Cordova

Ismael Cordova, Editor-in-Chief

Student Life Coordinator, Gaea Atta, and Elgin Community College President, Dr. Sam, and students, join Fandango performers on stage. Photo by: Ismael Cordova

Elgin Community College announced the beginning of Latinx Heritage Month (LHM) this past September. Latinx Heritage Month works to recognize the contributions made by members of the Latinx community and creates awareness about important issues in the Latinx community as well.

“Latinx means that I am apart of an amazing community filled with culture, passion, and dedication,” said ASPIRE 1G Event Coordinator, Ana Rojas.

Although often referred to Hispanic Heritage Month or Latino Heritage Month, ECC has opted out of the traditional terminology and has declared this month as Latinx Heritage Month.

“Latinx is an newly inclusive term. Since Spanish is a heavily gender language, Latinx is a way to involve all people despite their gender identity,” said Alex Dominguez, Vice President of Students Who Are Not Silent and member of the Latinx Planning Committee.

Both students and community members joined together to celebrate the start of ECC’s Latinx Heritage Month at the annual kick-off, and highly attended, breakfast. The Latinx Heritage Month Breakfast was held on Sept. 17 and was presented by the Latinx Heritage Month Committee, Office of Student Life, Performing Arts Center, Theatre Department, Spanish Department, Columbia College of Missouri-Elgin, Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS), Student Government, and Students Who Are Not Silent (SWANS). Keynote speaker Denice Frohman enlightened the crowd with her award-winning poetry. As she spoke to not only topics regarding Latinx issues, but also explored the intersections of race/ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and the “in-betweeness” that exists in us all.

“Denice Frohman’s speech was definitely a highlight to me. I was lucky to have attended the United States Hispanic Leadership Institute (USHLI) conference this past February and heard her powerful poems for the first time.We were very grateful to have her there,” said OLAS Secretary, Luz Silva.

“Through poetry, her words brought truth into the lives of many Latinx who do not identify with a specific gender, but also shed light on the struggles of feeling that one doesn’t belong in either their biological country or in the U.S.  I have attended two previous LHM Kick-off Breakfast, and this was the first time I had ever witnessed tears being shed from the audience. She created comfortable, yet vulnerable environment. It was truly inspirational,” said Wellness Service Peer Educator, Flo Perez.

The LHM event line up started off strong with a Leadership Summit right after the annual breakfast. The Leadership Summit consisted of interactive workshops to help students build skill that will make them stand out from other students.

ECC faculty and students, joined by Denise Frohman, pose for a photo after the Leadership Summit held on Sept. 17.

Another event that the LHM Committee created was known as “Fandango.” Fandango is described as a “lively and interactive performance featuring authentic instruments and dance it’s a vibrant blend of many different cultures.” Fandango performers had dozens of students stopping and enjoying the sound of their performance as it radiated through Jobe Lounge on Sept. 20. The performers also asked for volunteers to perform alongside them. All volunteers were Club Leaders from ECC’s Student Life, such as: John Ryan Gonzalez, Priscilla Gonzalez, and Alondra Ruiz from OLAS, Gaea Atta, Student Life Coordinator, and Dr. Sam, President of Elgin Community College.

Other events that the LHM has in store include:
One of today’s leading contemporary Mexican music ensembles, Villalobos Brothers. Their performance will be held in Building B’s Jobe Lounge on Oct. 5, 12 to 1 p.m. Indigenous Peoples Day on Monday, October 9, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. held in Building B’s Jobe Lounge. My Truth. My Story. My Talent will be held on October 11, 12 to 2 p.m. In Building G’s Spartan Auditorium. This event will entail the stories and experience of student leaders’ talent as they express their truth, pride, and their personal struggles. And probably the most important event, according to latest political changes is, DREAMers Advocacy in Action. This event will be held on Friday, October 13, 9 to 11 a.m. in Building G’s Spartan Auditorium. A perfect opportunity to become a part of the solution and expand your knowledge of state legislation and learn how to advocate for the community.

Latinx students have spoken up regarding issues that have impacted them and their community. When asked about what they advice they have for Latinx students, Alex Dominguez, Ana Rojas, and Luz Silva had this to say.

“You are beautiful. There is no such thing as an illegal person. Embrace what sets you apart from the others. Viva su vida como usted quiera,” said Dominguez.

Following the same format, “Some advice I would give to a fellow Latinx student would be that, you are welcome and celebrated for being who you are and to not be afraid of showing pride in your other culture!” said Rojas.

Silva followed sharing her advice for Latinx students is to “get involved. You can easily become part of groups and committees who plan events like these and if you’d like to make a change or add something, your help is always welcome.” 

For more information about Latinx Heritage Month 2017, contact the Office of Student Life at 847-214-7392.