Women’s Tennis Team prepares for National tournament

Mark Carriveau

Pictured here are the three ladies that make up the Tennis team. Alejandra Abella, Marie Beyer, and Carolina Abella.

Luz Silva, Managing Editor

The Women’s Tennis team will be heading to Atlanta, GA on Oct. 18, to compete in the National tournament.

They had previously competed on Sept. 25 to qualify for nationals. Although they will be unable to win as a team, they look to continue their success and win individually.

This year’s tennis team consists of three women. All three ladies are first time players for Elgin Community College

Their #1 doubles team, Marie Beyer, a first-year student and Carolina Abella, a second-year student, has remained undefeated and head into nationals with a record of 6-0.

The Lady Spartans will all play singles at nationals. Beyer and Abella will also compete at #1 doubles.

Their team record is unable to show their individual success. The three ladies are experienced tennis players who have excelled this season. “They’re very enthusiastic and they love the game and that’s why I continue to do it because I do it for the students,” said Head Coach Clark Hallpike.

Their regular season ended with the Lady Spartans playing Sauk Valley Community College on Oct. 6, and now their post-season will continue until Oct. 21.