Lady Spartans’ soccer team add a second win to their record

lance+lagoni

Lance Lagoni

Gelsomina Spano scores in ECC’s win over Triton College

Luz Silva, Managing Editor

To kick off the month of October, the Lady Spartans faced Triton College at home. The Lady Spartans were able to snap away from their previous six loss streak as they took a 1-0 triumph over Triton.

“It was an awesome win. All the girls played the entire game, so fitness level was just awesome,” said Head Coach Rick Ceh.

Ana Rojas, the team’s goalkeeper, is a second-year student who recognizes her team’s strong character and effort.

“Our win was because we played as a team, we believed in ourselves, and we kept fighting until the end,” said Rojas.

The number of ladies competing with the team has decreased, leaving them with only twelve participants. At times like their game against Triton, players all must play the full 90 minutes because they do not have any substitutes.

“These twelve girls that have stuck it out have formed a very tight bond so they do a great job,” said Ceh.

The efforts of the remaining ladies and their commitment have allowed them to build their chemistry.

Since Oct. 2, the Lady Spartans have played three more games. They struggled to minimize the goals conceded when they played Oakton Community College and Madison College resulting in tough losses.

“They never give up, they never quit, even when the score is down low,” said Ceh.

Their most recent game was at home against Prairie State College. They managed to limit Prairie State to a few goals and had Chasya Avendano, a second-year student score to end the game 1-2.

“We’re fighters. That’s what we are and how we present ourselves,” said Rojas.

The Lady Spartans now stand seventh in their conference with a record of 2-9.

“At this point, we are just focusing playing for ourselves, and showing that ECC isn’t somebody to be messed with,” said Rojas.