English 101 class raises awareness with Eco-Fair

Juan Castillo, Staff Writer

A collection of ECC’s English 101 students organized and hosted their very own Eco-Fair on Nov. 20 through Nov. 21. This fair consisted of students looking to inform their fellow ECC peers on multiple environmental issues that face the world today. The Eco-Fair was held in the Jobe Lounge in Building B.

The English 101 class had music and multiple booths set up in the lounge. The booths consisted of projects that the students created on the various issues they had studied throughout the semester.

“The event is set up to try and promote a more ecologically aware lifestyle. We’re talking about recycling, being aware of endangered species, and thinking outside of ourselves and being more aware of how we affect the earth”, said Christopher Grissette, one of the English 101 students that helped organize the event.

The event started off as a class project for the Professor Stewart’s English 101 class and grew into the class creating the Eco-fair. The students partnered up and worked on projects that they then turned into booths to inform others on the various environmental issues and topics that had learned about.

Some of the topics of the booths ranged from information on the endangered Pygmy Elephant to a volunteer opportunity to clean up a river that students could sign up to participate in.

“We wanted to sort of raise awareness for different environmental problems,” said Isabelle Dimiceli another student that helped organize and run one of the booths at the fair, “Hopefully somebody will be interested enough to do something about it after they hear and learn about something at the fair today.”

As students walked up to each booth they learned about how the actions of people can affect more than just themselves. Two of the English 101 students also performed live music as entertainment to those in attendance.