United Students of All Cultures hosts their annual “International Week”

Elizabeth Anton

Dr. Rise’ Dawn Jones, on Nov. 15, performing “Ritorna Vincitor” from the opera “Aida.”

Ismael Cordova, Editor-in-Chief

The Elgin Community College student-lead club, United Students of All Cultures, better known as USAC, hosted their annual International Week on Nov. 13-16 to bring awareness of cultural activities in India, Brazil, Korea, South America, Africa, and the United States.

On Nov. 13, the Elgin Community College hallways were filled with students and staff as they dressed in international wear and marched to Lion King’s “Circle of Life”, to kick off USAC’s International Week. The parade started in Building F’s International Lounge and ended in Building B’s Jobe Lounge, where special guest, Dr. Sam, President of ECC announced the beginning of International Week.

Following the parade, USAC hosted a fashion show in which the participating members of the parade would show off their international apparel given facts of where the outfit was from and in which occasion it would be worn in. After the parade, the Acharya Performing Arts Academy showcased their Bharathonatyam Dance, a classical Indian dance, to ECC students in the Jobe Lounge. During the dance, stations were provided to give students an opportunity to participate in games and do-it-yourself henna.

On Nov. 14, USAC reached their next destinations of Brazil and Korea.

Building B’s Jobe Lounge was filled with performers, Gingarte Capoeira Chicago, as they performed the Game of Warriors: Brazilian Capoeira. Following the dancers, USAC hosted a movie event in which they showed Jibuero.

Jibuero is summarized by IMDb.com as: “Seven-year-old Sang-woo is left with his grandmother in a remote village while his mother looks for work. Born and raised in the city, Sang-woo quickly comes into conflict with his old-fashioned grandmother and his new rural surroundings. Disrespectful and selfish, Sang-woo lashes out in anger, perceiving that he has been abandoned. He trades his grandmother’s only treasure for a video game; he throws his food and he throws tantrums. When Sang-woo’s mother finds work and finally returns for him, Sang-woo has become a different boy. Through his grandmother’s boundless patience and devotion, he learns to embrace empathy, humility and the importance of family.”

On Nov. 15, USAC’s destinations consisted of South America and Africa.

The day’s events consisted of African opera singer, Rise’ Dawn Jones. “I was working inside the Office of Student Life when I heard Rise’ Dawn Jones. Although the doors were closed, I could hear her voice. You could hear the intensity. I, immediately, went out to listen to her. She has such a beautiful voice,” said Carolina Martinez, second-year student.

Following guest speaker, Jones, South American instrumental artists, the Urban Gateway Performers performed the Sisai: Exploring the Andres.

“I really enjoyed the Sisai: Exploring The Andes music performance. The music was really soothing and relaxing. It sounded like something that would help me study which caused me to actually purchase a CD from the performers,” said ECC student, Ronald Manuel.

On Nov. 16, USAC wrapped up their International Week with the final destination being the United States. USAC, alongside student-lead clubs such as: College Programming Board, Organization of Latin American Students, ASPIRE 1G, Chinese Club, and Phi Theta Kappa, hosted a Street Fair. The Street Fair consisted of clubs each being assigned a country and showcasing those countries’ monuments, flags, or food in their respective booths.

“The International Week Street Fair was a fun and educational experience. It was a joy to participate in the Street Fair with Phi Theta Kappa’s chosen country of Iceland. I have always had a personal interest in their culture and geography, being able to share that information with others was beyond exciting!” said Maggie Sherman, Secretary of Phi Theta Kappa.