ECC Board of Trustees appoints new trustee to fill vacancy

Juan Castillo, Staff Writer

Elgin Community College has appointed ECC alumnus Ryan Weiss to fill the vacancy that was opened up last November. 

The vacancy occurred after Angela J. Holmes resigned from her position due to her moving out of District 509. One of the requirements for someone to be a board member is that they live in the District 509 boundaries.

ECC began its search for the new board member almost immediately after Holmes resignation. Those who wished to apply for the positions were asked to submit resumes, references and a letter stating why they were interested in becoming a board member.

“It was not an easy decision. What made Mr. Weiss stand out was his prior involvement as a student trustee and then as an alum. We look forward to the knowledge and experience he will bring to the board,” said Jeffrey Meyer the chair of the ECC board of trustees.

Weiss earned his Associates of Science at ECC and then went on to earn his MBA from the University of Kansas. He is the founder and president of Seam Strategies Inc.

According to a news release from ECC, Weiss has been actively involved in the ECC Alumni Advisory Committee. Weiss has already attended two of the board monthly meetings.

Normally when a board member is elected they serve on the board for a six-year term, but Weiss’ appointment will only last until the next trustee election date on April 2, 2019.

There has been some controversy regarding the board after Weiss’ appointment onto the board. Some faculty and staff are upset over the lack of minority representation on the board.

Professor of Sociology, Joyce Fountain, is one individual who feels strongly over this issue.

“If you’re going to be in that position equip yourself to make decisions that are equitable,” Fountain said.

According to Fountain, due to the lack of minority representation the board will be missing a necessary perspective during their decision-making process on policies that will affect the largely minority student body. Fountain and others have voiced their opinion to the board during some board meetings.

The next board of trustees meeting will be held March 13.