Black History Month kicks off with annual breakfast

Dr.+Sam+kicks+off+the+Black+History+Month+breakfast+with+opening+remarks.+

lance lagoni

Dr. Sam kicks off the Black History Month breakfast with opening remarks.

Ismael Cordova, Staff Writer

Elgin Community College and Black Student Achievers jump started Black History Month with their annual kick-off breakfast on Feb. 2, 2018.

The Building E Dining Hall filled with both high school and current ECC students, faculty, staff, administrators, and community members ready to start the month of celebration with style.

“The purpose of Black History Month at Elgin Community College is to inspire, celebrate, and recognize the rich culture and heritage of African Americans in our country, community, and college,” said Mayor of Elgin, David Captain.

“Legacy Lives” was the theme of the Black History Month breakfast designed to identify the pain, persistence, and pride of African American ancestors.

“Legacy is important. Many African American students always tend to think of the past when it comes to legacy as they are living someone’s legacy. But what’s most important is that that student leaves a legacy of their own,” said Elgin High School student, Noah Myers.

The breakfast consisted of student-created spoken word poetry, a recognition of African American scholars of ECC, and keynote speaker, Elgin City Councilman Corey Dixon.

Dixon’s speech filled the audience with inspiration, laughs, and genuine advice for all of the spectators there.

“The importance of Black History Month is to disprove the lies and misconceptions that history says about blacks in this country. A month to remember the important contributions of African Americans, a reminder to show how far we have come, and a month to teach…” Dixon said.