ECC hosts manufacturing and technology job fair

Lance Lagoni

Students engage in discussions at the ECC Manufacturing & Technology Job fair in Building O on Tuesday, October 8.

Shealeigh Voitl, Managing Editor

Elgin Community College held its third targeted job fair on Oct. 9 geared toward students looking to pursue careers in manufacturing or technology.

“What we’re finding is that even though there are fewer job seekers [at a targeted job fair], there are more job placements,” said Michelle Allen, an internship coordinator at ECC.

Allen was extremely encouraged by the positive response by students in the first section of the event from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

“The students that have come through today have been able to connect with several companies and explore opportunities,” Allen said. “Some students have scheduled interviews already, so it’s very exciting.”

Lance Lagoni
Students engage in discussions at the ECC Manufacturing & Technology Job fair in Building O on Tuesday, Oct. 9.

Attendees roamed the long hallway, stopping by several booths to speak with representatives. Jesus Donjuan, a first-year student at ECC, provided insight as to why it’s so important for schools to host job fairs like this one.

“I think [these type of events] motivate students,” Donjuan said. “So far, I’m [encouraged] by the information I’ve received.”

Angie Testone, a representative for the manufacturing company Aptar also recognized what a valuable tool the job fair was for students looking to get a foot in the door.

“I think it’s important that students know what jobs are available, especially in the manufacturing industry where there’s a huge demand for labor,” Testone said. “It’s good to be aware of what opportunities are out there.”

Among those hoping to discover some of those opportunities was Christopher Hope, who’d found a pamphlet for the fair near the advising office.

“It’s a great [resource] for students that are looking into a very specific field,” Hope said. “I’m really interested in engineering, so it’s really helpful to get firsthand information about [how to get started].”

Nicole Leindecker of Manpower, a staffing agency, strives to provide that information so that students can start making decisions about their career path early on.

“Especially for us as a staffing agency, not a lot of people know that [we’re] a good resource to come to,” Leindecker said. “If you’re new and you don’t exactly know the kind of work that you want to do, we can get you into a manufacturing environment to see it and understand it.”