Wellness resources available to students on and off campus

Shealeigh Voitl, Managing Editor

1. Wellness Services at Elgin Community College aims to provide students with the tools necessary to prioritize their individual health and well-being. It is crucial to ask for help when help is needed. Below are several resources on campus where that support is readily available.
  • Short-Term, One-On-One Sessions
    • ECC offers 3-4 short-term, one-on-one counseling sessions to determine what specifically may be hindering their academic performance. If the few sessions do not suffice, ECC also provides assistance in figuring out next step plans that may exist off campus.
  • Crisis Intervention
    • Those experiencing psychological or emotional crises may seek immediate help and intervention from wellness professionals during ECC’s hours of operation. However, after 7 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and after 4 p.m. on Friday, students are encouraged to dial 847-212-7777 and/or 911.
  • Support Groups
    • These groups, which consist of 8-10 likeminded participants, meet for an hour each week and discuss a variety of topics, including, but not limited to, adjusting to college, self-esteem, healthy relationships, anxiety and depression. These weekly sessions typically last for 4-6 weeks.
  • Psychological Educational Programming
    • Wellness Wednesdays take place in the Jobe Lounge, which is located beside the bookstore in the B building, every first and third Wednesday during the fall and spring semesters. Workshops are also conducted to encourage students to realize and achieve their full potential.

Listed below are some additional services that Wellness Services provides off campus.

• Safe Zone
    • The Safe Zone centers around further educating faculty, students, and staff members about sexual orientation and gender identities and issues.
  • Wellness Podcasts
    • Focuses on eight dimensions of wellness, including environmental, emotional, financial, intellectual, occupational/academic, physical, social and spiritual.
  • Student Health 101
    • An online magazine that concentrates on enlightening students about the importance of identifying health and wellness challenges they face and tackling them head-on.
  • Student Assistance Program
    • SAP provides a more specialized approach to an individual’s health and wellness and also provide resources for long-term care. SAP workers can be reached at any time of the day, seven days week, at 847-742-4033.

For any additional questions that you may have, please contact Wellness Services by email at [email protected], by phone at 847-214-7390, or stop by their office in Building B, room B120.