The rigors of getting started

Members of ECC’s Antigone rendition give light into the work involved in the early stages of play production

Arturo Chuatz

A smiling Terry Holt, the man responsible for bringing Creon to life this year, finds himself in the same spot where the auditions for his role took place.

Arturo Chuatz, Executive Editor

As Elgin Community College slowly transitions into full gear this spring semester, the actors and director of “Antigone” provided some insight into the process of preparing for the play.

“Antigone”, which is a Greek tragedy that follows a sister’s brave attempt to provide her dead brother with a proper burial, despite the fatal consequences in doing so. ECC’s performance of “Antigone” is set to premiere on Friday, April 26 in the Second Space Theatre and run through Sunday, May 4.

Unfazed by this sort of challenge, Susan Robinson, director of the play and an Assistant Professor of Theater at ECC, opened up about the many duties delegated to the directors of these sorts of plays.

“The director is in charge of everything,” Robinson said. “[The directors] are the ones responsible for production, rehearsals, casting the actors and shaping the show.”

Ultimately, it is up to the director to mold the play in the manner that best outlines the moral lessons, even if, as Robinson said: “In the play, there’s no right or wrong.”

Other members of the play also gave their thoughts about the arduous process involved in the initial stages of production.

Katie Das, who will be playing the part of Antigone, faced a different set of challenges.

“For me, the greatest challenge during the audition process was getting into character,” Das said. “I wanted to become emotionally raw in order to truly bring the lines on the page to life.”

The character of Antigone, a young, tenacious girl, who at times borders between courageous and naive, really connected with Das.

“One thing that Antigone and I can both relate to is being underestimated based upon gender,” Das said. “Antigone is a personal hero for me because she stands up for her ideals despite being female and is unafraid to speak her mind. I think we all could learn a little something from her.”

Das said that although her expectations going into the audition were limited, the hopes of getting a part in the play were wholehearted.

Terry Holt, who will play the part of Creon, anticipated a different set outcomes going into the audition.

“I expected to be around a lot of talented people,” Holt said. “The expectations are really high so I also expected a lot out of myself.”

Holt also said that one of the biggest gripes an actor faces, especially during the auditioning process, is the complicated emotions that come from worrying too much about the performances of other people auditioning.

“Initially, the biggest thing was to not get caught up in what everybody else was doing,” Holt said. “I had a plan, and I’ve been practicing for a few months.”

The character of Creon, who is the king and force stopping Antigone from her pursuits, is also a character that draws parallels to Holt’s personal wholeness.

“I consider myself honorable,” Holt said. “I don’t demand respect unless I give it.”

Constantly faced with difficult decisions involving the use of reason and justness, Creon carries himself with a sense of honor.

“In Creon, I see a man that [despite being] faced with lots of tough decisions throughout the play, he is still honorable,” Holt said.

Nicole Gilman, who was cast as the chorus for the play, also weighed in on her experience.

“As with any kind of theater, you can’t really have a great sense of expectations as far as the roles go,” Gilman said. “If you’re in the show, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be in the show next semester.”

As with the other cast members, Gilman also noticed parallels between the role that she’s playing and her way of carrying herself.

“My character is supposed to be an old man,” Gilman said. “It’s like someone you go to for advice.”

In order to connect with the role she’s playing, Gilman says that she tries to put herself in her character’s shoes.

“Although I’m not an old man, people sometimes do come to me for advice, especially because of the experience I have in theatre,” Gilman said.