• Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

News

Fresh faces to lead 2024-25 Student Government Cabinet

• New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

News

New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

• ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

News

ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

• Estudiante accediendo al sitio web FAFSA.gov el 20 de marzo de 2024.

News

Students face challenges amidst ‘A Better FAFSA Process’

• Angela Tovar and Shayndel Valles at the ACP Spring Conference in San Diego.

News

The Observer wins national awards at ACP Spring Conference

• Matthew Bishop and Alberto Mantovano

Human Interest

A Very Deep Goodbye for Matthew Bishop

• The hours for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at ECC in Building B.

News

What is FAFSA? Financial Aid Overview

• The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and TRIO Office at ECC in Building B.

News

New FAFSA form available for 2024-2025 school year

• Student Life Coordinator Gaea Atta Moy works from her office at ECC.

News

New Law Guarantees Paid Time Off for All Illinois Residents

• ECC hosts early voting for Kane County residents March 5-6 outside of Building B.

News

Early Voting Underway

The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Elgin’s Pelton House, a Piece of History for Sale

Fans of Victorian architecture and unique homes will be excited to hear about this new listing in the Elgin area. Built in 1889, the Pelton House is for sale once again over a century later.

The house is located on 214 S State Street, outside the heart of downtown Elgin. The realtors, Naomi Campbell and Kristine Speed, describe the architecture as a mix of East Lake Style and Victorian. The 3 story house is listed as an 8 bedroom, 3 full bathroom and 2 half bathroom home for $650,000.

The Pelton House has had just two owners since its construction. The original owner, Dr. Ora Levant Pelton, commissioned architect Gilbert Turnbull to build the estate for his family. Adjacent to it stands the house Dr. Pelton had constructed for his son, both of these homes lying on “Millionaire Row”.

The Pelton family resided in this house until the 1950s, frequently hosting parties and get-togethers for neighbors and friends. In Dr. Pelton’s office off the main foyer, patients were treated by the doctor in the comforts of his own home.

Now 134 years old, the house has lived through many major historical events, such as the Great Depression and both World Wars. 

According to Campbell, only one major renovation has occurred since the Pelton House was built; the removal of the wall separating the men’s and women’s parlors.

“Back in the day, women would sit on one side of the parlor and men on the other,” Campbell describes. “That’s just how things were back then. On the men’s side, you’ll notice the fine artistry of the marble fireplace and that small windowed room in the corner is where they used to smoke.”

A photo of the former “men’s parlor.” The windowed inlet in the corner was originally a smoking room. (Madison Gschwend)

The Pelton House is the last private residence in Elgin on the national register of historic places. In fact, the residence has won several awards for its preservation of the architecture.

Much of the original furniture is still displayed in the house. Notably, the crystal chandelier located in the main foyer is a historical piece from the former country of Czechoslovakia. 

The glass chandelier hanging in the main foyer is an original piece from Czechoslovakia. (Madison Gschwend)

“There was 70-something years worth of [furniture] in this house, and [Speed] transformed it into what it is today,” Campbell said, explaining how the staging incorporated pieces original to the home.

But perhaps the most notable item in the house is the painting above the marble fireplace in the parlor room. The family had rented it from the Gail Borden Library, but ended up purchasing it as a permanent installation, a reflection of their roots in Elgin.

The painting that hangs above the fireplace in the living room is a piece bought from the Gail Borden Library. (Madison Gschwend)

There are several other minutiae, personable details that add to the character of the residence. Along the tops of the doorways on the main floor, you can find engravings of different tree leaves denoting the type of wood used in the room. 

The leaf carving on the top of this doorway denotes the type of wood used throughout the room. (Madison Gschwend)

A more recent addition, the third floor bathroom is adorned with vintage-printed wallpaper of work by Alphonse Mucha, a famous artist during the Art Nouveau movement. 

The third floor bathroom displays vintage wallpaper from the artist Alphonse Mucha. (Madison Gschwend)

A relic of its time, outside the main building exists a quaint carriage house. Repurposed to serve as a garage, the building boasts spacious floors full of potential.

“They could fit several horses and buggies in here, at least three,” Campbell said. “And upstairs, they would store hay and other supplies that they used to care for the horses.”

The carriage house outside the residence used to be where guests would store their horses. (Madison Gschwend)

While the house has grown with its owners throughout the years, it still serves as a crucial artifact of Elgin’s history. If you are interested in checking out the Pelton House, you can read more about its history on the Historic Elgin website or check out the listing here.