The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Native American Awareness

To preserve the land is to preserve the body. This thought was thoroughly reiterated on November 28th, 2023 by the creator and host of Power! Talk Radio John St. Augustine at the “Acknowledging Native Americans and their land” lecture in the Jobe Lounge. 

The purpose of this event was to bring awareness to Native Americans’ plight, the history of their land and to respectfully reflect on the time when the land was their own.

An active member of the Midwest SOARRING Foundation and sponsor of the event Kathleen Serena had been in contact with the President of ECC Dr. Sam and Executive Director of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Anthony Ramos to bring this information forward to the ECC community through an event. 

Serena went over what the Midwest Foundation is and what it means to be a part of it, from hosting wisdom-sharing events, honoring lost voices, and intellectual healing. She further spoke of the opportunities and grants available to people who join and participate in the restoration movement for awareness.

Dr. Sam took over and gave an overview of how and why this partnership between the organization and the school came to be.

Dr. Sam expressed how he wished to bring more inclusivity back in his earlier years of presidency. He expressed how when the foundation reached out, he was concerned with respecting the indigenous inhabitants of the Elgin community, so installed courses to bring more ethnic awareness to the school and shed light on these issues that have been plaguing the indigenous communities of Illinois and surrounding areas. 

Ramos had the rare opportunity of being able to read the Land Acknowledgment, which is a statement often related to a building or structure in which Aboriginal peoples lived.

He expressed that in 1829 when the campus was established, it sat atop land belonging to many indigenous tribes that lived in Illinois, most notably the Ojibwe. 

The original speaker of the event was not able to attend, which is when Augustine had the honor of representing the awareness event.

Augustine spent over 20 years with the Ojbwe people, where he was accepted and learned their way of living after a harrowing life-or-death experience. Through his self-stated “rebirth,” he was able to see new perspectives and avenues that were not seen before his spiritual awakening. Augustine beckoned everyone to look inward to maintain the fragile structure of their lives.

Like Dr. Sam, Augustine spoke of coexistence bringing communities together despite different cultures and beliefs.

“Life doesn’t pick you- it picks on you,” Augustine said.

Augustine mentioned receiving these opportunities is a gift from the universe that shouldn’t be discarded; by respecting the world, you in turn respect the vessel that is given those chances.

Throughout the speech, what was revealed was a partnership with ECC, how it has provided more opportunities to shed light on indigenous issues and the commitment to understanding cultural awareness and our role in it. 

Augustine concluded with the topic of self-care, stating that if we take a bigger step in helping and respecting the land whom we share it with, the indigenous people will never be forgotten.