• Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

News

Fresh faces to lead 2024-25 Student Government Cabinet

• New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

News

New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

• ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

News

ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

• Estudiante accediendo al sitio web FAFSA.gov el 20 de marzo de 2024.

News

Students face challenges amidst ‘A Better FAFSA Process’

• Angela Tovar and Shayndel Valles at the ACP Spring Conference in San Diego.

News

The Observer wins national awards at ACP Spring Conference

• Matthew Bishop and Alberto Mantovano

Human Interest

A Very Deep Goodbye for Matthew Bishop

• The hours for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at ECC in Building B.

News

What is FAFSA? Financial Aid Overview

• The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and TRIO Office at ECC in Building B.

News

New FAFSA form available for 2024-2025 school year

• Student Life Coordinator Gaea Atta Moy works from her office at ECC.

News

New Law Guarantees Paid Time Off for All Illinois Residents

• ECC hosts early voting for Kane County residents March 5-6 outside of Building B.

News

Early Voting Underway

The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Making the Call: An Inside Look at Emergency Management

ECC Emergency Management Administrator Stephen Stassen on January 25, 2024.

ECC recently closed all campus locations from Friday, January 12, 2024 through Tuesday, January 16, 2024 citing weather conditions. According to the National Weather Service, Elgin and its surrounding areas experienced temperatures below zero with windchill nearing – 40 °F. 

In the case of campus closures, notifications are sent through ECC’s Rave Alert System, posted on the elgin.edu home page and updated at WGN’s Emergency Closing Center

ECC’s Emergency Management department is composed of Senior Director of Emergency Management Emily Kies and Emergency Management Administrator Stephen Stassen. 

They utilize both internal and external factors in situations of hazardous weather conditions to prepare a recommendation of school closure on behalf of the Campus Emergency Operations Center. This resolution is then presented to the President’s Cabinet, a group of advisors to President Dr. David Sam, before receiving his final seal of approval.

Internal factors include being able to address the weather conditions with adequate amounts of salt, manpower, and work hours. 

“External factors are what’s the forecast, anticipated impacts and then we also have a lot of contact with other school districts and colleges,” said Stassen. “Especially when it comes to (School District) U-46 and D300, a lot of our students and staff’s families are involved there and it really does end up affecting us.”

Emergency Management uses many different platforms to access the newest information. 

“The National Weather Service is pretty spot on most of the time so that’s the reason why we really lean into (it),” said Stassen. 

As weather updates are released at 3 AM and 3 PM, ECC’s cut off times for class cancellations are 5 AM for morning classes and 4 PM for evening classes. 

The department also uses the Probabilistic Snowfall Experiment by the National Weather Service to better predict the range of snowfall possibilities. It was designed to better communicate weather uncertainties in addition to existing visual aids. 

“We’ve gotten a lot better and a lot more sophisticated about (the process) in the last few years,” said Stassen. “We can be a lot more specific with our interventions that’s helped us be better with when we’re closing and when we’re not.”

For more information on unscheduled campus closings, students can reference Administrative Procedure 3.809 Procedure for Unscheduled Closings.

View Comments (2)