What’s Cooking?

An Update on the Spartan Terrace

lance lagoni

Culinary student Erin Neisendorf briefs the serving staff at Spartan Terrace on the exact content and process of producing each of the plates on the menu. This allows the staff to share with the customers any allergen information answer patron’s questions. Member of the serving staff James Wolff) on the right) takes notes The restaurant opens Thursday 9/14/17 for this semester and is open Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Luz Silva, Managing Editor

The doors to the Spartan Terrace will open for the first time in this semester on Sept. 14.

The hours of service are set from 11:30 am to 1 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

For those that don’t know, the Spartan Terrance is a on campus restaurant whose staff is all current students. These students have been preparing for the opening of the restaurant for several weeks now and will be continuously learning as they all have one of three roles. The students in the kitchen further their cooking and food preparation skills, while the students who serve the food learn to interact with customers and how to properly serve the food, also including three students that return as managers and learn how to manage a restaurant.

A unique aspect is given to the restaurant every semester. The incoming chefs have the freedom to construct a new menu to be offered for first half of the semester and then again for the second half. The current menu contains a variety of inexpensive salads, small dishes, and entrees. Some compelling aspects of the restaurant are the “mocktail” bar, which offers non-alcoholic mixed drinks and the smoked scallop that is a dish offered that is cooked at your table by the chef. To complete meals, a dessert tray is available with assorted options.

If customers do not have the time to dine in they might consider Spartan To-Go which functions at the same times of the Spartan Terrace.

Spartan To-Go offers differs every week as it is what other culinary classes prepare. Options range from soups, varied lunch options, and pastries. This is a convenient and affordable option as well. The Spartan Terrace offers a local and favorable option for lunch to students, faculty, and anyone from the community. Anyone is welcomed to enjoy. Please consider making a reservation as they are strongly recommended, by calling (847) 214-7382. The Spartan Terrace is a restaurant administered by Elgin Community College (ECC) students currently enrolled in the course taught by Jennifer Loiacano and is located in Building I at ECC.