An updated campus look: ECC returns to original seating

Lina Fasihi, Staff Photographer

Need a place to sit and study? Don’t worry—Elgin Community College has got you covered.

On Wednesday, Feb. 16, many additional seating options were added around campus as a result of the decision to return the campus to its original seating in non-classroom areas. This is a significant change from previous, limited options which were socially distanced due to COVID-19. 

“The tables and chairs were originally limited because of covncerns about the surface transmission of COVID-19,” said Stephen Stassen, emergency management specialist. “This was especially true for soft surfaces that can be more difficult to disinfect. Much of the furniture around campus was soft surfaces and thus was stowed away.” 

Per a statement from the CDC last April, “People can be infected with SARS-CoV-2 through contact with surfaces. Based on available epidemiological data and studies of environmental transmission factors, surface transmission is not the main route by which SARS-CoV-2 spreads, and the risk is considered to be low.”

The number of students on campus has risen significantly this semester, resulting in insufficient seating. Consequently, ECC has decided to add more furniture around campus.

“Our hope is that as we add more furniture throughout campus, students will adhere to our request to maintain social distancing. Simply providing more spaces allows for students to spread out around campus,” said Stassen.