Golf team’s regular season comes to an end

Luz Silva, Managing Editor

Sept. 25 marked the end of the Elgin Community College men’s golf team’s short season; the Spartans final standings are, 4th place in the Region 4 conference, with a 0-5 record. This year the team consisted of five freshmen from four different schools.

“We’re about the only team that only has freshmen, so it’s a huge disadvantage,” said Head coach, Rick Olson, who is currently coaching for his 32nd year at ECC.

But the season for the Spartans is not over yet. During the first weekend of October, they will be playing three 18-hole matches to determine national qualifiers, those who qualify to compete at the National Junior College tournament.

A challenge the team has this season is their inexperience at the collegiate level. In high school, they play 9-hole matches while in college matches are 18-holes. Also, they did not have any returning players to the team.

“We’re young and that shows,” said Olson.

“Our players are trying hard and they just need to cut down some mistakes,” said Olson. Their coach comments that their ball striking is good but there is strategy to be worked on. He believes and plans to teach them course management skills to better themselves.

Recently the team’s practice facility was changed to Randall Oaks Golf Club. Olson expects this change to attribute positively in the future. “That’s a very nice practice facility. So I think that’s going to benefit us in the long run just from having better access to practice facilities,” said Olson.

Head Coach Olson looks forward to finishing their post-season well and has hopes that next year they will be a stronger team. He has already acquired several recruits and commits.

“I think there is some talented players that are coming next year and those players with the players that’ll be coming back it’ll be a nice mix of player ability,” said Olson.